GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard)
Established in 2008, the aim of this standard is to define requirements to ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer. It covers a broad range of guidelines, mainly the following:
- At all stages through the processing, organic fibre products must be separated from conventional fibre products and must be clearly identified.
- No usage of harmful chemicals or pesticides
- Companies make records of their Environmental management in written form, to save resources and to seek for reduction. This includes the water and energy consumption pear each kg of manufactured textile, as well as actions to decrease it.
- Packaging material must not contain PVC.
In addition to that, GOTS prescribes the required minimum percentage of eco friendly fibers for certified organic products.Basically the GOTS label appears in two different forms.
Label GOTS organic: Referring to the label organic , at least 95 percent of the fibers used, must be made of certified biological farming The percentage of conventional fibers must not be more than 5 percent.
Label: GOTS made with organic materials At least 70% of the fibers need to be from certified biological origin, the remaining part of 30% may be made of conventional or synthetic fibers- ( whereat the percentage of synthetic fibers must not be more than 10% )
Certified companies must fulfill following social requirements in the field of fabric treatment and finishing:
- No forced or child labour
- Freedom of association and the right for collective bargaining
- Payment of a living wage
- Safe and Hygienic Working Conditions
- No excessive working hours
Is performed once a year by independent, specially accredited bodies on the basis of the GOTS monitoring system
Brandless & GOTS
Our complete supply chain is GOTS certified. Therefore Brandless offers tees in two different options:
a) With a woven GOTS label for retailers and end consumers
b) Without GOTS Label for unlimited further processing